If you’re looking to build a semi-modern or modern room, there are many DIY options available. You can find plans for a floating wall or for a pocket wall that drops down when the doorbell rings. You can even find DIY videos on YouTube showing you how to make your own outdoor movie screen using only an old phone and some fishing line.
But what if you want something a little different? What if you want to build a wallpaper wall that spans the entire room and completely changes the vibe of the space?
Hardcore wallpaper fanatics will tell you that the option is available, and it’s true — you can absolutely wallpaper your room. But it takes a bit of planning and some technical knowhow to pull off these types of designs. To get you started, we’ve gone ahead and compiled a list of everything you need to know about using wallpaper to transform your room.
To begin with, you’ll need a bit of everything. You’ll need wallpaper in both large and small sizes to create the illusion of height when applied to a wall and to create the illusion of width when applied to the floor. You’ll also need wallpaper samples in both vibrant and soft colors so that you can choose the one that best suits your room. In addition, you’ll need wallpaper paste, a sponge roller, and two or three different sized brushes.
As for the tools, you’ll need a drill, a staple gun, a saw, and a hammer to cut the staples. You’ll also need a variety of wall hanging hardware items: hooks, eyes, hooks with eyes, etc. to hang the wallpaper.
As previously mentioned, you can absolutely wallpaper your room using the above tools and items. But the method is a bit labor intensive, and it takes a while to apply the entire wall covering once you’ve started. For that reason, many people choose to live wallpaper only selected areas of their room, for example, the area above the bed or in front of the sofa.
There are also many different DIY wallpaper recipes which you can try out. Some people like to use printed images from magazines or newspapers while others like to use digital images found on the Internet. Of course, the choice is entirely up to you! Just make sure that the image you use fits the overall vibe of your space.
If you have a theme for your room—such as an arty grunge theme or an eclectic mix of styles inspired by different cultures— you can integrate the wallpaper into the design of your room. For example, you could use an arty photo for the main wall and an abstract design on a smaller wall or a feature wall near the ceiling. When applying the wallpaper to the floor, make sure to leave at least a 2-inch space between each strip so that the wall looks seamless once it’s finished.
Detailing & Cleaning
After applying the wallpaper, it’s a good idea to do the following things to ensure that your room looks impeccable:
- Vacuum the room thoroughly, both interior and exterior surfaces;
- Wash the walls with soap and water;
- Scrub the walls with a slightly abrasive cloth to bring out the vibrancy of the colors;
- If the above items are not possible for some reason, then it’s best to remove the wallpaper and start over again.
To keep your wallpaper looking good for years to come, ensure that you do the following things:
- Maintain a clean room—including both interior and exterior surfaces;
- Maintain a clear space around the edges when applying the wallpaper—this is especially important if you’re applying the wallpaper to an uneven surface like the floor or the baseboard;
- Maintain adequate ventilation by opening up all the windows;
- Maintain light levels in the room by switching off the lights when they’re not needed; and
- Maintain at least a 6-feet distance between each application of the wallpaper so that you don’t have any mistakes when reapplying it.
If you choose to live wallpaper your room, it’s important to keep in mind the above points so that you can achieve perfect results every time. Above all, make sure that you have the time for this project—it may take you a couple of days to a week to apply the entire wall covering once you’ve started. So, be sure to schedule your session early in the morning so that you can get the most out of it.