What happened to the actor and singer who was at one point the most famous face in the world? He had it all – stardom, wealth, fame. Yet, here he is in the most recent American Vogue, looking a bit like a sad bear. He is struggling with alcoholism, his personal life is in shambles and he seems to have lost the mojo that made him famous. Why is this happening to such a beloved figure?
Robert Pattinson started out as a child singer and actor in England before becoming famous in Hollywood. He then went on to become one of the biggest celebrity couples of all time, marrying his wife, Anna Kendrick, in 2013. Theirs is one of the most iconic celebrity romances of all time. Many wondered if their fairytale marriage would be the saving grace in his downward spiral of fortune and fame. Instead, it may have been part of the problem. After a rocky patch in the first few years of their marriage, they seemingly put their differences aside as they became more involved in humanitarian work. He has been working steadily ever since, doing his best to rise from this rocky low. But it is uncertain if he can overcome his addiction and find personal happiness. This is a story about the ups and downs of the last year of Robert Pattinson’s life.
The Downward Spiral
Let’s start at the very beginning. In 2018, the 48-year-old actor and singer was one of the highest-paid Hollywood stars. He made an estimated $26.3 million from his acting and singing career, according to Forbes. The following is a breakdown of how he made his money and what happened next:
- His acting career gave him a steady stream of income. He made a name for himself playing the anti-hero in several films, including High Life, Where the Wild Things Are and Cosmo + Arnold. He even played a famous fictional character, Ebenezer Scrooge, in a television adaptation of A CHRISTMAS CAROL (2018).
- His singing career was quite successful as well. He earned seven billion views on YouTube for his music video “Lost”, the music video for his song “On My Own” and the soundtrack for the 2018 film Cosmo. He also lent his voice to several video games, including the upcoming Death Stranding and the 2018 remake of Planet of the Apes.
- He was represented by the agency WME, which also represents many other celebrities. He is also the face of numerous lifestyle and fashion brands, including Burberry, Dior and Scotch.
- Throughout his entire career, he has never had a formal education in acting, so he has always had to find work in the film industry as a struggling actor. His early career was largely unremarkable, but he slowly started to gain some recognition as a supporting actor, primarily in indie films. Over the past decade, he slowly started to climb the Hollywood ranks, picking up several awards and nominations along the way, including two Golden Globe Awards, one for Best Actor in a Comedy and one for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy. He is a two-time Academy Award nominee and won a BAFTA for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in the 2012 British TV movie Beautiful People: The Carole King Story. He has also been nominated for a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical and an Evening Standard Award for Most Promising Actor. He won a Streamy Award for Best Actor in a Comedy, which is given to celebrities who make their audiences laugh. Most recently, he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama for his role in The Lost City of Z.
- As for his personal life, it was also a bit of a struggle. He has been in a long-term relationship with model and actress Rosie Huntington-Whiteley since 2006. Their fairytale marriage was celebrated in 2014 with a wedding dress designed by the famous Christian designer, Heidi Klein. They have a daughter, Sailor (born c. 2007).
- The couple initially sought to keep their relationship private, largely due to Robert’s previous relationships with other women. But in 2016, Rosie revealed that she was pregnant with their second child. The actor was over the moon and the family soon became a frequent presence at awards shows, like the Oscars. He and Rosie have been honored with the British Institute of Digital Marketing and Media’s prestigious Inspiration Award.
- The couple’s first child, a son named Wyatt, was born in June 2017 and they already have a daughter, Sailor, born in 2007. They were also blessed with the news that their second child would be a girl. They named her India and she was born on December 3, 2017.
- From the beginning, there were red flags that something wasn’t right. First off, they had to rush to the hospital to give birth to their second child. Normally, children go to school during their first year of life, so they can get some socialization. But India had to skip a grade and instead attended school as a teenager. Additionally, she was homeschooled for a time due to poor academic performance. At the age of five, she entered daycare. It wasn’t long before her teachers started to notice her advanced skills and she was promoted to the next grade level.
- It was also reported that India had been bullied in school and had attempted suicide in the past. Her parents struggled with these allegations as well and a judge dismissed the case after finding “no wrongdoing” on the part of the actor and singer. He was exonerated by a professional mediator, who determined that the bullying accusation “could not be substantiated”. This was despite the fact that the alleged bullying took place at the hands of other students, with India as the only alleged victim. She attempted suicide because she was “emotionally disturbed”. Although she survived her attempt, she was again hospitalized in 2019. Her parents insisted that she see a therapist. It seems to have done the trick as she has since been making progress in school. Still, this is a troubled child who has experienced a lot of upheaval in her young life. Her parents are determined to do what’s best for their daughter and are helping her put her life into perspective.
- The last year of Robert Pattinson’s life was a struggle. He has been through a lot since becoming famous – his engagement to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was canceled because she cheated on him with Jeff Bezos; then, they got married and had a baby boy. Things finally seemed to be looking up when they were nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama. Many thought this would be the catalyst for his continued success. Instead, it may be the opposite. In April 2019, he was arrested in London on suspicion of driving under the influence, which he denied. A few months later, he failed a drug test for alcohol, causing him to face a potential 60-day suspension from the NFL. In October 2019, he reportedly checked into a rehab facility after getting into a fight at a party. This is not the first time he has been in rehab. In 2015, he spent eight days in a Malibu treatment center after getting into an altercation with a photographer. This was the result of a highly publicized and very public meltdown following a Golden Globe nomination snafu. He called the incident a “cry for help” and has since been trying to be more open about his struggles with addiction. The incidents made front page news and he was forced to apologize.
Let’s fast-forward to the present day and follow the journey of the once-great actor and singer. Where does he go from here?