Ever wonder what sets a badass apart from someone else? Maybe it’s the way they walk, the way they carry themselves, or the way they react to stressful situations. It’s all in how they carry themselves! What’s your favorite outfit from the Batman series?
There are several badass outfits in the Batman franchise, and we wanted to find out which one you like best. So we put together a list with the best outfits from each film.
Here’s the list:
The Dark Knight
Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight is easily one of the best films in the Batman series. For this list, we will be focusing on the main character, Harvey Dent. This was the first time we saw Harvey wear the iconic costume, and it wouldn’t be the last. Let’s take a look:
- Harvey Dent’s Outfit: This was the outfit we all knew and loved. The Dark Knight’s most famous and iconic character, Harvey Dent, is often credited as the inspiration for Batman. We knew he would be back, and when he returned, he brought a lot of changes. One of the changes was the iconic outfit. When Harvey first stepped out of the shadows, he wore a sleek dark suit with a black shirt and tie. What made this outfit so special was the contrast green color on his shoulders and the hand-drawn symbol of a bullseye on his chest. The color was inspired by the forest that we see in the background of many of the film’s scenes, and it was meant to represent the killer instincts that he is supposed to possess.
- Harvey Dent’s Accessories: You can’t have a discussion about The Dark Knight without mentioning its ridiculously cool gadgets and weapons. When you add a smartwatch (that acts as a radio), a necklace that contains a miniature video camera, and a portable air-purifier, it’s pretty clear that Harvey carries a lot of gadgets and weapons with him wherever he goes. One of the most iconic scenes from the movie is when the Joker forces Harvey to choose between saving the city or his family. In the end, he chooses his family and saves the city with one hand while shooting the Joker with the other. Another memorable scene is when Alfred and the Joker fight; in that scene, we see Alfred using a meat cleaver and a poker as weapons. It’s no wonder that the outfit was chosen as one of the top 10 Halloween costume ideas for 2020.
- Harvey Dent’s Look: This was one of the first times we ever saw Harvey outside of his costume, and it was quite a shocking (and cool) sight. It doesn’t seem like a coincidence that the film’s title character is named after Harvey Dent; he was introduced in the same year (2012) that Dark Knight was released. Although there hasn’t been an appearance from Harvey Dent since the last movie in the series, The Dark Knight Rises (2012), Christopher Nolan still frequently references him in interviews. When asked in an interview with ET if he considered bringing back any of the other Batman characters, Nolan replied: “Yeah, I think about Harvey all the time. I miss him, actually. He was one of the great characters that we missed having around.”
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises isn’t perfect, but it’s definitely in the top tier of the Batman series. It’s safe to assume that most of the outfits on this list would look great in slow motion. Let’s take a look at the main character, Gordon Freeman:
- Gordon Freeman’s Outfit: Gordon Freeman’s outfit in The Dark Knight Rises is one of the best pieces of protective gear we’ve ever seen. When you consider that it was inspired by the iconic motorcycle helmet from the 1960s, it’s not hard to see why this outfit was chosen for this list. When Gordon first stepped out of the shadows, we saw that he was wearing a motorcycle helmet, but it wasn’t until later that we found out what accessory he was clutching in his right hand. We knew he was holding something cool, because he is often shown with a device similar to the ones used in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises in the shape of a Bat-signal. The only difference is that the one worn by Gordon in the comics is blue, not green. When we see Gordon in action, it’s clear that he is a man who stands out on the streets. Not only does he protect his anonymity with a device that makes him indistinguishable from any other normal human being, but he also uses the environment around him (smoke bombs, lasers) to confuse and distract the bad guys. It’s a great balance because the audience knows exactly what he’s capable of, but he also keeps a low profile so that nobody recognizes him on the street. We all love a good disguise, but Gordon’s is one of the best we’ve ever seen.
- Gordon Freeman’s Accessories: The Dark Knight Rises also introduced us to Gordon’s weapons and equipment. He started the movie with only his trusty revolver, but before the credits rolled, he managed to switch it with a fully loaded crossbow that fired missiles. In the comics, Gordon is often depicted as a man who likes to keep his quiver of Arrows and his pack of revolvers with him at all times. It’s a great piece of equipment to have when camping or hiking, because you never know when you might need a little something to help you defend yourself. We often think that being a man with a rich history in the field would give you an advantage in any fight, but the truth is that your gadgets and your weaponry are probably more useful than your history books. It’s all about what you can do for yourself, and how you can put your own spin on things.
- Gordon Freeman’s Look: Gordon’s outfit in The Dark Knight Rises is pretty self-explanatory. The main character spends a lot of time outdoors, and although he doesn’t usually advertise it, Gordon is clearly an asset to society and to the community because of his protective gear and his willingness to help others. If you’ve ever seen the show, The Mask, you know exactly what kind of man this is. We rarely see Gordon without some kind of protective gear (usually a helmet or glasses), and when we do, it’s usually because he needs to protect himself from the environment around him. It wasn’t until The Dark Knight Rises that we finally saw Gordon out of his gear, and although he doesn’t always wear it in the movie, it’s clear that he’s not afraid to use it if the situation calls for it. Most importantly, we see that Gordon is a man who stands out in a crowd, which means that no matter what disguise he’s wearing, we’ll always know who he is. We’re not sure if this was an intentional homage to anyone or anything, but it’s clear that Nolan and his team liked to keep the original look of Gordon from the comics, because his design hasn’t changed much since then.
One of the most memorable characters from the 2018 Batman revamp, aka The Batman Series (and one of the most popular characters on social media platforms like Twitter and TikTok), has to be the terrifying and brilliant Vulture. Played by Jason Bateman, this particular take on the character is known for his dark and daring manner, and for chowing down on humans like hot dogs. Let’s take a closer look at this character, and at his outfit: