Breathe. It’s been a long day. You excited about tomorrow?
The sun has risen, there’s been coffee and cigarettes, and you’ve checked the headlines. Now, it’s time to relax. What do you want to do?
If you’re looking for a new adventure and want to be inspired, you can go to the cinema and see a film starring one of Hollywood’s hottest stars: Robert Pattinson.
The actor – who recently won an Oscar for his role in Mad Max: Fury Road – will be playing the lead in The Space Movie. If you’ve never heard of it, don’t worry, you’re not alone. Even the most diehard fans of Twilight might struggle to name a single film directed by James Franco. But despite its obscurity, the film has become something of a cult classic amongst Franco’s growing fanbase.
The Space Movie is set for theatrical release in the UK on 15th August, and stars Pattinson alongside a number of well-known and popular TV presenters. You won’t want to miss it. Here’s everything you need to know about the film.
What is The Space Movie About?
Set in the year 2032, The Space Movie follows two astronauts who are fighting for survival after a manned mission to Proxima Centauri goes horribly wrong. The film follows the astronauts as they explore the universe for help.
The pair of astronauts begin their epic journey in search of answers after their spacecraft is damaged and they find themselves drifting through space without any signs of life beyond themselves. The film’s tagline is “Anxious to meet new friends, looking for a savior, seeking adventure.”
The doomed duo eventually stumbles upon an old mining colony where they discover a group of survivors who have been living amongst the ruins of the space station for over a decade. With nowhere else to turn, the two astronauts decide to stay and help the colony navigate the dangers of space.
Where Can I See It?
If you’re in London, you can head to the BFI IMAX to catch the premiere. Or, if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can also catch it at one of its subsequent non-IMAX showings. Limited tickets for the premiere remain available via fannimation.com. If you’re feeling really adventurous, you can also look out for limited edition t-shirts and hoodies which feature the BAFTA-winning film’s incredible ensemble cast. (via fannimation.com)
Why Is It Worth Seeing?
For those of you that have yet to see it, here are some reasons why you should go and see it:
• It’s pretty cool that James Franco directed a movie that was mostly set in space. What’s more is that many of the scenes were filmed in Spain, which adds an extra layer of authenticity to the whole affair.
• Robert Pattinson and his fellow actors all sported amazing mustaches for the role. It would be a shame to miss out on such an opportunity to watch these charismatic men wax their ferocious facial hair. Plus, if you think that Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of the lead is a little reminiscent of Dustin Hoffman’s portrayal of Rain Man, then you’re in for a treat. You’ll get to see the real deal in action as well.
• Franco, who is renowned for his improv skills, asked the actors to improvise many of the scenes. He encouraged them to go with their instincts and whatever comes out, no matter how crazy, is what you’ll get. It’s like having a Genie in the movie, helping you see things from an outsider’s perspective.
• The cinematography was astounding, and brought to life the vast emptiness of space in a way that hasn’t been done since the original film 2001: A Space Odyssey. Many of the shots were either completely taken by digital effects, or done using a combination of both. (via film.com)
Who Are The Cast?
Not a lot is known about the film’s cast yet, but if you’re a fan of James Franco and his various projects, you’ll recognize a number of the people he’s associated with. Besides, it’s always exciting to see a celebrity involved in something they aren’t usually associated with. Here’s the cast list as of now:
• Robert Pattinson – The English actor is best known for his role as Edward Cullen in the Twilight franchise. He also had a lead role in the 2014 thriller Good Morning Sunshine. Despite his fame, this will be his first lead role in a serious, adult-oriented film. The Space Movie is set for release in the UK on 15th August 2016.
• Olivia Wilde – The British actress and model has appeared in a number of high profile films, most recently the 2014 spy comedy The Housekeeper, opposite Natalie Portman. Here, she plays a single mom who has been mistaken for a terrorist, and must act quickly to clear her name. Since Twilight, she’s mostly stuck to serious roles, like that of a doctor in Interstellar, and Kat in the thriller The Martian. Next up, she’s starring in the biopic Cleopatra – a role that will have her donning a gold bikini and acting alongside stars like Kate Winslet and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. (via hollywood.com)
• Tim Robbins – The American actor and director is best known for his roles in a number of films, including Bull Durham and Ghostbusters. He has also directed several movies, including Twelve Years a Slave and The Shawshank Redemption. His big break came when he was cast as Gov. Robert Stanton in the 1979 TV series Kramer Vs. Kramer. Since then, he’s mostly stuck to character roles in TV and film. (via imdb.com)
• Rosario Dawson – The American actress Rosario Dawson stars in several TV series, including 24, where she plays the role of Chloe O’Brien. Since graduating from university, she has worked steadily in TV, with recurring roles in series like The Handmaid’s Tale and Once Upon a Time. She has also starred in several films, like Maid in Manhattan and The Finest Hours. She is best known for her role as Ruby in the 2004 film Clone Wars, for which she won a Saturn Award. (via imdb.com)
• Michael Madsen – The American actor Michael Madsen has appeared in a number of high profile movies, including The Basketball Diaries, Reservoir Dogs and the 2007 version of The Twilight. More recently, he’s appeared in smaller films like Trapster and Lone Survivor. He’s best known for his roles in Reservoir Dogs and The Basketball Diaries. (via imdb.com)
• Jeff Bridges – The American actor Jeff Bridges is best known for his extensive work in both film and TV. Most notably, he played a starring role in 1989’s Honey II. He won an Emmy for best actor in a comedy in 1995 for his role as Walter Sobchak in The Walter Sobchak Show. In TV, he’s starred in several series, including The Big Valley, The Love Boat, The Hitchhiker and Father Dowling Mysteries. He has also appeared in a number of notable films, like The Fabulous Fords, Crazy Love, The Doorbell Rang, and the aforementioned Honey II. (via imdb.com)
• Harvey Korman – The American actor and comedian Harvey Korman is most famous for his role as Mayor Dinklage in the 1990s sitcom The Hogan Family. Since then, he’s appeared in a number of films and TV shows, usually playing an authority figure. Most notably, he played Grandpa Munster in the TV series Grandpa Munster, and Judge Reinhold’s father in the 2006 film City of Ember. (via imdb.com)