If you have yet to hear of TENT, you will soon enough once you see or read about Robert Pattinson’s newest clothing collection. The British actor and model debuted his first signature line of men’s wear on Friday, and the Internet went wild. Thousands shared their excitement about the collection on social media platforms like Twitter.
The collection features streetwear staples like hoodies, jogging suits, and long-sleeve t-shirts, reimagined in a modern and stylish way. Tents aren’t exactly a new concept. Some people have been wearing them under umbrellas in the park since the 1800s. However, Pattinson’s take on the classic style is decidedly modern and trendy.
Here, we’ll explore the origins of TENTS and how to wear the stylish garment.
Where Did the Name TENT Come From?
The name TENT comes from the designer’s home city of London. As the designer William Robinson told The Guardian, “We began to explore the idea of tents as a symbol of transition and adventure, and how our clothes could help people express their identities and be comfortable in who they are.”
Indeed, the name TENT is representative of the diverse group of people that the designer seeks to represent with his clothing line. According to the label’s website, TENT stands for “a celebration of individuality, freedom, and self-expression.”
What Is a Tent, Exactly?
A tent is a small, portable, and waterproof structure designed to provide shelter from the rain or sun. Its four walls are made of waterproof material (usually nylon or polyester) and have an opening, usually at the front, for light and ventilation. When fully erected, the walls provide shelter from the elements and allow for some privacy.
A man’s jacket with built-in pants, a hood, and a sleeping mat made of similar materials are sometimes called a ‘tent garment’, ‘tent jacket’, or ‘tent pant’.
Why Are Tents Popular As Clothes Protests?
As countries around the world continue to be divided over the issue of equality, more and more people are choosing to express their opposition to prejudices and unfair treatment through their clothes. For example, several years ago people in India wore their kurta pajamas (long-sleeve shirts with tie-waist bottoms) to demonstrate their support for the LGBT community. In 2015, several people in the U.S. held a ‘Tent-in’ to protest the ‘bathroom bill’ and show their support for transgender people.
Tents are also popular as a way for people to show their pride in the city they call home. For example, many Londoners (and expats) wear their hometown’s crest on their shirts to signify their support for the city.
The designer behind the ‘Tent’ collection, William Robinson, elaborated on the connection between fashion and politics in an interview with The Guardian. He said: “Clothes are a way of expressing yourself and a way of connecting with people. When you put on a TENT shirt, it means you’re putting on an expression of strength, pride, and identity. When it comes to clothing you wear to stand for a cause, it is often about the material used to create the garment and the design itself. We wanted to keep the classic look but make it more wearable and stylish.”
When Is The Best Time To Wear TENTS?
The best time to wear shirts bearing the trendy new ‘TENT’ label is now. While the weather in London might be cold and blustery, at least you’ll feel cool and confident.
If you happen to be an Indian woman, you might want to check the weather reports before you leave your home. The summer temperature in New Delhi frequently reaches 45 degrees celcius (7 °Fahrenheit) and can spike to 50 degrees (10 °Fahrenheit). The good news is that the season is at its hottest from April to June.
If you are heading to India, you might want to put on a few more layers than usual. That is, if you want to look cool and confident, you might want to avoid shirts bearing the TENT label during the hottest season. You’ll feel confident enough as it is. The Indian weather can be temperamental, and you don’t want to suffer from heat exhaustion.
Key Pieces Of Merchandise From The Collection
If you’re unfamiliar with the style of TENT, here’s a short list of some of the most prominent pieces of merchandise available for purchase. They’re all quite stylish and trendy, so you can feel confident wearing them:
- A blue and yellow check pattern on a white background
- Tan colored trousers with silver buttons
- A black and yellow checked shirt
- A yellow checked print on white
- And check print on a blue background
How Do I Wear TENTS?
Here’s how you wear shirts bearing the trendy new ‘TENT’ label:
- Pull your shirt away from your body and hold it with one hand. With your other hand, grab your pants and let them hang off your body. This is how you want to wear them. To make it a more stylish look, put one of your legs in the air and pull your shirt down.
- Or, if you’d prefer to keep your shirt on, leave it hanging off your body as you pull your pants down. This is how you want to wear your pants. To make it a more stylish look, pull your shirt down and tuck it into your pants.
- To hide your belly (which is the best part of your body, and I mean that in the most complimentary way), pull your shirt down and put it in your pants. To keep your pants stylish, pull your shirt down and tuck it into your pants. For a more stylish look, try tucking your shirt into your pants.
- To wear your shirt collar up (the opposite of down), pull your shirt up and tuck it into your pants. To make it a more stylish look, pull your shirt up and put it in your pants. For a more stylish look, try tucking your shirt into your pants.
- If your hair is short, you may want to wear a bandana around your head. This will add a subtle tribal feel to your look. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, you may want to remove your shirt altogether and leave it hanging off your body. Your arms will be free to move, and this is how you want to wear them. To make it a more stylish look, pull your shirt down and tuck it into your pants.
- For a more adventurous look, you may want to wear your shirt off and tie it around your waist. If you’re feeling extra stylish, you may want to remove your shirt altogether and put it in your pants. This is how you want to wear your pants. To make it a more stylish look, pull your shirt down and tuck it into your pants.
- To complete the streetwear look, wear your sneakers. They will add that extra touch of style to your outfit. To make it a more stylish look, wear a bandana around your wrist. This is how you want to wear your bracelet. To make it a more stylish look, pull your shirt down and tuck it into your pants. This is how you want to wear your necklace. To make it a more stylish look, pull your shirt down and tuck it into your pants. This is how you want to wear your hat.
These instructions will get you most of the way there. However, if you want to look your best, you may want to consider investing in a good pair of sunglasses. The final touch of style will transform your look in a second. After all, good sunglasses can make or break any outfit. And, to be honest, no outfit is complete without them.
What do you think of William Robinson’s take on the traditional cricket shirt? Do you plan to try out some of the pieces from his collection? Or, do you have a different style you wish to see described? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.