Well, he was only the most famous of the celebrities who were sick or injured while on vacation in Italy this past summer. He was hospitalized with severe sun poisoning, and now that he’s awake and coming out of his shell, he’s reflecting on his experience and what he’s learned. Rob starts his blog post, “The Best Day Of My Life,” with these words:

“I was hospitalized for a month last week, and it was one of the most bizarre experiences I’ve ever had. But in a good way. After 10 years of being relatively private, I found myself chatting away to complete strangers in the halls, while my family and friends gathered outside my room waiting for me to come out. It still feels a little unreal. The best day of my life, really! It was an education, an experience, and an opportunity to see the world with a fresh set of eyes. I’d like to write a bit about my month in hospital, and this experience that I’ve had. Since my admission to the hospital, I’ve learned a lot about myself and the world we live in. I’ll leave it up to you, dear reader, to decide if this was a good thing or a bad thing that happened to me. But I can promise you that it was an experience that I’ll never, ever forget. I’ll try to keep this short, but I do want to make sure that you know where I am coming from and what I’m talking about. So here goes… 

The Best Day Of My Life

The best day of my life would have to be the day I was admitted to the hospital. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky, and the air was balmy and warm. As I was walking toward the hospital, I felt absolutely no stress or anxiety that sometimes comes with traveling. The bus ride to the hospital was smooth and uneventful, and I arrived at my destination feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. After I got my ID checked and my suitcase searched, I went into the hotel reception and asked the clerk for a small fridge to store my belongings in. While I was explaining to him about the heat in Rome and how I didn’t want to spoil my vacation by being in the hotel all the time, he handed me a key to a small fridge. I thought that was really kind of him. Then he said, “Oh, and by the way, sir, we’re not allowed to give you electric appliances, so don’t even think about trying to fix the TV with your phone. You’ll have to make do with their crappy old one. It’s on the front desk.” He was being so kind and helpful, but I was in no mood to be bothered, so I just said, “OK,” and went up to my room.

The next morning, I woke up early and started preparing for my first day of school in Ireland. I was a little nervous because it was the first time I’d be going to school in a while, but I was also excited about starting my degree in communications and journalism. The night before my flight, I cleaned my room, straightened up, and went to bed. As I was falling asleep, I heard a noise that sounded like it was coming from the direction of the front desk. I got up and went to investigate, thinking maybe one of the maids had come in to clean during the night. As I opened the door, I saw a man in a gray suit sitting at the front desk, and he had a pad of paper in front of him and was taking notes. He looked up and saw me standing there, and we just looked at each other for a moment. It was the manager of the hotel, and he was very surprised to see me there at this early hour. He stood up and came over to my room to talk to me. I showed him my passport and explained to him that I was on vacation, and as he was a journalist himself, he said he had a possible story for me. From there, we started a conversation about writing, pitching stories, and being a journalist. It was honestly one of the best conversations I’ve had in my entire life. In the end, he gave me an exclusive interview, and as a thank you, I gave him a bottle of wine as a gift.

I spent the next 10 days in the hospital, mostly in bed, getting treated by a lot of wonderful nurses and doctors who cared for me. The opportunity to talk to someone who was genuinely interested in what I had to say was amazing. The best part of those 10 days was when I got to sit down with a professional movie reviewer who’d been kind enough to watch some of my films and give me his opinion. We got along famously, and after I’d exhausted all the information I had on my mind, he suggested I read a book that had been on his nightstand for a while:

“You should read this,” he said as he handed me a thick tome titled, “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.” “It’s good, and you’ll learn a lot from it.”

After I got back from Ireland, I decided to treat myself to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I’d heard so much about. It turned out to be not only entertaining but also fairly education for me. I definitely recommend the book if you’re thinking about reading it. It was well worth it.

I hope this rambling anecdote has piqued your interest. As you can see, I’m still alive, and since my experience in the hospital was so good and life-changing, I have no desire to go back. It was the best day of my life, and it propelled me into a new, more mature way of living. Since then, I’ve continued my education and learned a lot more. Writing these blogs has also been a good way for me to process my thoughts and feelings about the experience. So if you’d like to read more, you can always check out my blog at http://robertpattinson.com. I’ve also set up a Twitter account where I’ll post updates about my writing and any breaking news stories that are relevant to movie fans. You can follow me at @MrRobertPattinson. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.