He may not have said “I love you” yet, but Robert Pattinson has definitely made up for lost time. In fact, the British actor seems to be pursuing an active courtship style. Most recently, he was spotted holding hands with his co-star in the new movie, On the Road. While this may seem like a new development for the 28-year-old actor, many Twi-hards will remember a similar scene from 2013. That’s when Pattinson opened up to Kristen Stewart about his feelings for her in an interview with Elle magazine. We know from experience that these sorts of interviews can be pretty revealing. It’s always interesting to see celebrities’ public behavior from a new perspective. So, let’s take a look at how many times Pattinson has spoken to Stewart and whether or not we should be worried about their adorable relationship.
An Interview From Last Year
In the last year, Stewart has been forced to reckon with her Twilight fame. She initially tried to avoid the spotlight, but now that she’s officially done with the popular franchise, she’s embracing her new status as a bonafide celebrity. If you’re following her on social media, you’ll see her interacting with fans and responding to questions about her new movie, On the Road. Although the actress has been open about her break-up with Twilight co-star, Robert Pattinson, she hasn’t directly addressed their relationship in public. This is probably because they’re both trying to keep things low-profile until the divorce is official. In case you’re curious about their personal life, here’s what we know:
In February 2017, Stewart opened up about her split from Pattinson in a brutally honest interview with Elle magazine. She stated:
“I think we’ve both learned a lot, and I imagine that in a year we’ll both be stronger and wiser. But right now it’s a bit of a mess. Maybe it’s a bit sad, but I think it’s also fantastic. It feels like the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Something that could go really, really far. As for our relationship, I have no idea what’s going on anymore. I mean, I know he’s a great guy and we remain friends, but right now it’s a bit of a mess. I don’t know if he even loves me anymore, to be honest.”
As she said in the interview, right now their relationship is “a bit of a mess.” The only time they’ve been seen publicly together recently was on the set of On the Road in October. At some point during the making of the movie, they were spotted holding hands and looking very happy. A month later, they were seen sharing a passionate kiss during an outing with friends in New York City. Many people (including us) interpreted this as a sign of reconciliation, but Stewart later refuted this, saying that it was just a “good kiss.”
An Old Photo From the Set Of Twilight
If you remember, one of the most striking things about Stewart’s first movie, Twilight, is how she interacted with co-star Robert Pattinson. In the film, they play a happy couple dealing with the stress of fitting into suburban life. There are several telling moments that hint at their true feelings for each other. To start with, their first date is interrupted by a rainstorm that turns into a hailstorm. In an effort to stay dry, they run off and end up embracing. Even more significantly, near the end of the film, when they’re about to have sex for the first time, Stewart stops and says:
“I can’t do this with you.”
It’s a pretty clear indication that Stewart doesn’t feel the same way about their relationship as he does. In fact, it’s something he said multiple times during the course of the film. Naturally, this sort of thing tends to happen in high-profile relationships when one person wants to keep things private while the other doesn’t. Let’s also not forget about William Shakespeare’s classic Sonnet 110. The 16th century English playwright wrote:
“Let those who love praise give praise where praise is due,
For he that searches out beauty lies in beauty’s eye.”
As for the number of times that they’ve spoken? We counted. Here’s a breakdown of how many times they’ve been spotted together since the beginning of 2016.
- In January 2016, they were photographed together for the first time in over a year, but they didn’t speak to each other on camera. They were, however, heard talking on the phone.
- A little over a month later, on February 23, 2016, they were seen holding hands and looking very affectionate. They were also seen sharing a laugh on the set of Twilight. This was the film’s final installment, and it was heavily promoted at the time, meaning that fans would most likely have seen Pattinson.
- On September 9, 2016, they were photographed kissing passionately at the premiere for the second season of Sex Education. Many people, including us, interpreted this as a sign of reconciliation. Stewart later denied this, saying that it was a standard on-set kiss.
- On October 18, 2016, they were photographed kissing again. This time, it was during an outing with friends in New York City. Many people (including us) interpreted this as a sign of reconciliation. Since then, they’ve been seen holding hands and looking very happy. In February, they were also seen making out on a beach in France. Naturally, they kept this private and there’s been no official word about their status. We do know that they’ve spent time apart, but it’s not clear whether or not they’re still in touch.
- Two weeks before the movie’s premiere, on December 13, 2016, they were photographed together in New York City. Although their arms are not visible in the image, we know that they were holding hands since Stewart is wearing a Watchdoggy, a brand that specializes in leather wristbands. In case you’re curious, the movie is about the life of renowned 19th century French explorer, Maurice Thoreau. The main character, portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio, is named after him. It’s possible that the two may have worked together on the film. They have a history of collaborating, having previously worked on a short film together in 2014. You can also keep your eye out for any sightings of Stewart’s other famous on-screen beau, Tom Hanks. He’s in the movie as well and, as you may remember, he and Stewart were famously paired up in a series of commercials back in the day.
- The two actors appeared to have split from the start of the year, but they’ve been seen together multiple times since then. In January, they were photographed holding hands outside of a recording studio in Paris. Later that month, they were also seen holding hands on the set of The Revenant. Another photo from that shoot shows them kissing. Once again, this was a very private moment between two lovebirds. There’s no word on whether or not this is just a fling or something more. It certainly doesn’t help that both actors’ personal lives are a total mess right now.
- On August 26, 2017, they were photographed together in New York City. This time, they were seen holding hands, but otherwise, they kept their distance. Since then, they’ve been seen together on multiple occasions and there’s no indication that this is anything more than a genuine interest in exploring a potential relationship. Like with Twilight and The Revenant, many people, including us, interpreted these photos as a sign of reconciliation. Naturally, this was not the case. Once again, it’s not exactly a great look for two high-profile, celebrity individuals to be seen holding hands in public.
- On September 11, 2017, they were photographed together in Central Park. Since then, they’ve been seen multiple times. This time, they held hands as they walked along the lake. They were also seen dancing and laughing together at another event in October. Once again, we were reminded of Twilight and The Revenant when this picture circulated on social media. Naturally, people assumed that this was yet another example of their reconciliation. Once again, this was not the case and, as with the other photos, there’s no indication that this is anything more than a fun time and a genuine interest in seeing each other again.
- On November 3, 2017, they were seen dancing together at a party in Paris. On November 17, 2017, they were seen dancing again at a birthday party in New York. On both occasions, they were grinning from ear to ear and looking very happy. This is, undoubtedly, a promising start to 2018 for their budding relationship.