It’s been almost a week since Robert Pattinson was accused of being a serial abuser by his ex-girlfriend, Emily Blunt. Since then, the media have been trying to confirm the claims with more articles and videos featuring the pair. However, despite all the attention, no formal charges have been filed against him. We take a look at the evidence and whether or not this scandal will hurt the British actor’s career.
The Accuser And The Accused
On October 12, TMZ broke the news that Emily Blunt was planning on filing charges against her former boyfriend. The actress, who has since reclaimed her maiden name, revealed that she had been hiding the abuse for the past seven years due to her fear of reprisals from the former ‘Roaring Twenties’ star. According to Blunt, their affair began in 2009 when she was 19 years old and he was 23. The couple had known each other since they were children as Robert is Elizabeth Blunt’s (Emily’s mother) brother.
After years of dating, the England star finally decided to end the charade and speak out about the abuse. In a statement, she said:
- “I was terrified of him. He is not someone I feel comfortable sharing a bed or living room with. He is not a kind person. There is no logic in staying with someone you feel threatened by.”
- “I understand why people think he is an abuser, but that is not the case. He has treated me with more love and care than anyone else ever has. I have never felt safer or more protected than when I was with him. He has never put a hand on me, not even in self-defense. I have never seen him be aggressive towards anyone.”
- “He was never jealous of my time with other men. If anything, he has encouraged me to be myself and to live my best life. He made me believe I could do anything if I tried hard enough. He has always been there for me whenever I needed him.”
The Media’s Take On The Charges
Since Blunt came forward with the allegations, much of the media have been trying to corroborate her story. So far, multiple outlets have been unable to find any evidence that the star is an abuser. In fact, some publications have gone as far as to question whether or not Blunt is even being truthful about the matter.
The New York Times addressed the issue in an editorial, arguing that it was crucial for the public to hear Blunt’s side of the story. They wrote:
- “It is more important for Mr. Pattinson to be heard, to explain how he has behaved. When a celebrity is accused of a heinous crime, especially one that carries the potential to destroy his public image, it is important that the public get to weigh in on the allegations. Unfortunately, the news media’s obsessive coverage of the story has failed to deliver the nuanced context that is so vital to understanding what actually happened, and why it should be taken seriously but not destroyed in a witch hunt.”
- “If Mr. Pattinson is innocent, he should be allowed to prove it. But if he is guilty, he must be condemned. If he is innocent, it is unfair to convict him without first listening to his side of the story. The media have an obligation to the public to get it right.”
- “No one is saying that the accusations should be ignored or dismissed. But given the stakes involved, the media must do everything in their power to make sure they get the facts right.”
The Reaction From Close To Home
Although there has been no criminal charges filed against Robert, his reputation has been irreversibly tarnished. Since the news broke, scores of women have come forward with their own accounts of being assaulted or harassed by the actor. Most recently, filmmaker and TV host Asia Argento revealed that she was allegedly raped by the actor when they were both in their 20s. The incident took place in a hotel room in Italy during the 1997 Cannes Film Festival.
Argento’s rape allegation follows a wave of similar claims that have surfaced over the past week. On Friday, former child actress Paris Hilton accused the actor of sexually assaulting her while also accusing him of being a “complete and total liar.” Hilton, who is currently seeking treatment for drug addiction, called the attack “absolutely horrific,” but stopped short of accusing him of being a criminal. She also took aim at Blunt for choosing to stay with him even after the alleged abuse.
In light of the mounting accusations, Blunt has spoken out several times since she made the initial announcement. The actress defended her decision to stay with the actor, saying that she still loves him and that they are working through their issues. She told Vanity Fair:
- “It takes two to create conflict. I’m not saying there wasn’t one side to the story that was unpleasant, but that is not the whole story. I still love him and he is the father of my children. I’m not proud that this happened, but I’m not ashamed either. It was a different time, and I wasn’t equipped to deal with what I was feeling. When you’re in a relationship with someone who doesn’t treat you well, you try to work out what is more important to you and what you want out of the relationship. I thought it was worth fighting for. I was definitely not expecting to wake up one day and have it all disappear. But I also understood that this would happen. It took me a while to get my head around it, but ultimately, I knew it was for the best. I did not want a daughter of mine to grow up in a world where men could treat her like this. This is not the situation I want for her. I want her to know that there are good men out there, and that they deserve a chance too. She needs to know that she can trust her gut and that, in some situations, she may have to walk away.”
- “I think that as men, we have to be better at listening. When she first came forward with the allegations, I didn’t believe them because he’s my best friend. I tried to talk to him about it and get him to see how absurd it was. I think it is a very sad reflection of our society that this even happened. We live in a world where someone who you claim is a sexual abuser can still be your best friend. Men need to be better mates, better friends, and better partners. We need to listen and believe women when they tell us these things.”
- “I want to thank Emily for coming forward and bravely telling her story. I’m sure that, given more time, we will all be able to put this behind us. For now, we need to protect young girls from predators like this. I hope that my story can help in some small way to keep others safe.”
What’s Next For Emily?
While the actor’s career surely didn’t need any more setbacks, it seems the media’s quest to discredit him may have backfired. Since making the initial announcement, multiple publications have come forward with stories detailing the incredible impact the allegations have had on Blunt’s life. On Saturday, the New York Times reported that the accusations have caused her to lose all confidence in herself and her acting career. According to the newspaper, her career only got off the ground after she ended her nine-year relationship with Pattinson. Since then, she has been appearing in bit parts in small films and on television and has said she is actively seeking representation.
While her career may be on the up, the future of her relationship with the actor is far from certain. The pair reportedly split up for several months after the incident before reuniting in 2014. Since then, they have remained in a committed relationship, but often spend long periods of time apart. On Friday, Blunt’s publicist said that the pair were “currently taking a break” and that they were “working through their issues.”