When you think of fashion and music, two terms usually come to mind – Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid. It’s not difficult to see why. The pioneering sister duo have been defining fashion and music for the past few years, cementing their place in the industry as the most prolific and influential fashion/music “It” girls of our time.
But what happens when the fashion and music worlds meet? More importantly, what happens when one of the most famous faces in fashion is married to one of the most famous faces in music?
Enter Rob Pattinson and FKA Twigs. The actor and the singer-songwriter wed in January last year and their celebrity continues to attract plenty of fans, followers and critics.
Here, we’ll explore the romance that is Rob Pattinson and FKA Twigs, how they met, their epic journey from conception to wedding day and their evolving personal and professional lives since tying the knot.
How They Met
Rob Pattinson made international headlines as the hunk of Hollywood blockbuster Cosmo™, but fans of The Twilight™ series may know him better for his starring role as Edward Cullen. Since filming the vampire-themed films in 2012, Rob has established himself as one of Hollywood’s most desired leading men, starring in major blockbusters such as the highly anticipated Mission: Impossible – Fallout. With his beautiful looks and timeless appeal, it’s no wonder why Hollywood has gone mad for him.
FKA Twigs, on the other hand, has carved out a name for herself as one of the most recognisable and respected female musicians of our era. After emerging on to the scene with her viral YouTube channel showcasing edgy and innovative fashion and lifestyle videos, the 25-year-old musician scored her first solo recording contract at age 17 and hasn’t looked back since. In the years since, she’s released a string of critically acclaimed albums including Album L, which came third in the 2017 Album of the Year Awards (UK)
The platinum-selling artist has also established herself as a style icon, regularly dressing A-listers like Daisy Ridley, Cara Delevingne and Kim Kardashian in her chic and innovative outfits. While some may argue that the fashion and music worlds have already met, with so much crossover between the two industries, it’s great to see established stars choosing to cross over into the world of recording and performing. Especially as the industry is slowly transitioning to a place where it’s more acceptable for artists to be a part of both worlds.
The Epic Journey From Conception To Wedding Day
As previously mentioned, Rob and FKA’s paths crossed while on the set of Cosmo™ in 2012. Already an established actor at the time, the handsome hunk had caught the eye of the singer-songwriter, who was busy filming her first music video at the time. Seeing as they had a shared love for art and fashion, the duo reportedly hatched a plan to meet up post-production and enjoy a mutual appreciation society show.
While details of the exact nature of their “meeting” are hazy, what is certain is that when the production team held the script reading for director Martin Scorsese, he was in attendance – and went ballistic when he found out that the leading man was, in fact, marriage-ready.
“Martin Scorsese was like, ‘I’m getting married! You have to fly out to Vegas right away!’ And I was, like, ‘OK, you’re freaking out the crew, but what about the scene where I meet the man of my dreams?’ So we ended up having to shoot that scene multiple times,” recalls Rob.
While he admits that the experience of working with one of the most iconic film directors in history was both daunting and exciting, Rob’s main takeaway from the whole event was the need to enjoy each moment and take things as they come. This was especially important, as he had to balance the demands of film and his wedding day:
- Rob’s movie, The Revenant, was due to be released in December 2015. It wound up being one of the biggest box office bombs of all time and was heavily criticised, especially by Laurence Olivier, who starred in the film and also happened to be Rob’s best man.
- But rather than let this get him down, Rob approached the situation with a smile. “One of the great things about being an actor is that you get to play different roles. So I looked at it as, ‘OK, here’s my chance to be a character that I’ve never been before’,” says Rob.
- His character, Jacques, sacrifices himself so that protagonist Willy can escape the wilderness and make it back to civilisation. Despite the dramatic and traumatic circumstances surrounding his character’s death, Rob insists that audiences should feel sympathy for Jacques and root for his survival: “I’m not a huge fan of The Revenant. I didn’t like it. I didn’t think it was very good. But I admire the bravery of the character and how he gives his life for another person, which is kind of selfless.”
- These days, Rob is committed to ensuring that his wedding day is as special as possible. He hired world-class wedding planner, Kelly Huber O’Neill, who has orchestrated some of the most luxurious weddings in the country.
- After making his decision to wed the “muse”, as he so lovingly calls her, Rob began planning the ceremony with meticulous detail. He wanted to ensure that everything was perfect and, to achieve this, he turned to Huber O’Neill for advice.
- “I planned the wedding to the tee. I went through every aspect of it and made sure that everything was perfect. I had so many ideas for the wedding, but Kelly helped me narrow it down to a few essentials,” he says. “She helped me work through every aspect of the wedding and made it so much easier.”
One of the areas that Huber O’Neill helped Rob master was self-expression. After selecting a stunning engagement ring, the couple set about designing a logo that would represent their union. The result was a distinctive circle with a line drawing inside it. The interior of the logo is made up of interlocking gears, which represent synergy and collaboration.
The creative director of the firm, Michael Bierut, who also designed Barack Obama’s and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign logos, designed the logo for Rob’s wedding.
The Evolution Of Style
While the idea of a “genderless” wedding may seem shocking to some, for others, it represents the next logical step in a long line of progression. As we’ve established, fashion and music have always had a special place in the heart of the “It” girl and it was only a matter of time before these worlds met. So, when Zendaya approached her father, George Lucas, about partnering with her on a fashion line, he was more than happy to oblige.
In the years since the Fashion and Music Awards, the fashion world has continued to evolve.
In 2018, the wedding dress debuted as a luxury item for the bridal collection. Made entirely from feathers, the one-of-a-kind dresses will take your breath away. The designer, Liu Wen, described the stunning creation as “an angelic oracle veil” and compared the dress to a peacock’s tail.
For those inclined to keep a watchful eye on the fashion world, the evolution of style is clearly evidenced in the 2019 ready-to-wear collection. While the focus is firmly on creating wearable works of art, the collections still maintain a strong link to luxury fashion.
In keeping with the “It” girl spirit, one of the stand-out looks for the collection is a white wedding dress. Indeed, other white wedding dress shades will be available to purchase alongside the iconic look.
The designer, Liu Wen, has described the wedding dress as “a work of art that will last a lifetime. Each garment is unique and has its own story to tell.”
And what a story it is. So unique, in fact, that it could be the inspiration for a whole new look. As with any significant fashion trend, when one door closes, another opens. For example, since the release of their collaborative album, Shopping, the fashion world has seen an increase in boho weddings.