You might have heard the news that Robert Pattinson has been cast as Batman in the upcoming movie, The Batman. Aside from being one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood, Robert is a skilled musician and artist who has been described as a “genius with a camera.” When asked about his role in the movie in an interview with Variety, Robert said:
“I actually haven’t seen the script yet, but I know what it’s like to play Batman. It’s such a difficult role to embody. It’s like playing another person. So I hope I can bring that inner conflict to the role. It’s going to be a real challenge, but hopefully I can pull it off.”
Well, it looks like he’s going to have his hands full. Batman is one of the most prominent, complex, and difficult characters to embody. The fact that Robert has agreed to play the role makes it even more exciting! For those of you who are unfamiliar, here’s a brief description of Batman:
- The Batman is the third standalone Batman movie. It follows Batman v Superman and Justice League, which are part of the DC Extended Universe. While most people know about Batman and his adventures, very few know about the rich history of the character’s villains. This makes it even more appealing for Robert to play a character as complex as Batman.
- An early version of Batman was created in 1939 and didn’t appear regularly in comics until 1943. Prior to that, he was usually portrayed as a cartoon character in black and white. So, this could be a real chance for the actor to stretch his acting muscles.
- The most iconic part of Batman’s look is undoubtedly his mask. Since the character’s inception, various models of Batman’s masks have appeared in print. The most popular were the Hiding Hoodie, the Basket Case, and the Mummy’s Mask. The actor who plays Batman will have the opportunity to sport some stylish new swag.
- Batman has a really quirky sense of humor, too. In one of the early 1940s comic books, Batman and Robin were asked where they got their costumes. They replied:
“We get them wholesale, from a shop that specializes in providing Halloween costumes for gents who feel they couldn’t cope with the horrors of the occasion if they had to sew their own clothes. It’s the perfect solution for those who feel they’d be better suited to a Life on Mars than a Saturday night at the local nightclub.” (Batman #1)
So, if you’re a fan of the Batman mythos, you may want to tune in to see how Robert plays the greatest superhero of all time. For those of you who aren’t familiar, here’s a short overview of the most prominent villains that Batman has battled throughout his 75-year existence:
- The Joker
- The Penguin
- The Riddler
- Commissioner Gordon
- The Joker’s Daughter, Harley Quinn
- Black Mamba
It’s safe to assume that most of these villains are going to appear in The Batman. So, it would be a real treat for fans if Robert could bring his unique artistic style to these iconic characters. As for the rest of the cast, it looks like Jack Nicholson and Jason Momoa have boarded the project as well. It’s great to have them onboard, as well as Anne Hathaway and Ben Wishaw who will play the parts of Alfred and Barbara. Lastly, there will be three other lead actresses: Zoe Kravizhak, India Ennenga, and Rosario Dawson. Keep your eyes open for more details as they become available. In the meantime, feel free to speculate about who Robert Pattinson will choose to play.